Recognized Student Organizations and Clubs Identity Guidelines

Students wearing red shirts outside Memorial Stadium

With over 500 student organizations and over 30 sport clubs, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL) provides a wide range of opportunities for students to get involved. Our students are excellent brand ambassadors. Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) are able to identify with the University of Nebraska–Lincoln subject to:

  • The student organization identifying as a student-based organization and not to be confused with a university department, program or initiative.
  • The student organization identity not interfering with the integrity of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s trademarks, athletic brand or intellectual property.

Request Artwork Approval

Student Organization Names

Students at outdoor fair by union

Student organization must clearly identify itself as a Club/Association/Chapter. This will identify the organization as a student-based organization, and not a University of Nebraska department or office. All student clubs must use licensed vendors to produce uniforms/club apparel and other merchandise.

If student organizations wish to use the words ‘University of Nebraska–Lincoln’ or ‘University’ in their name, the title of the university should come before the club name and/or make it clear that it is a student organization. For example: University of Nebraska American Red Cross Club. University of Nebraska Gardening Club would be permissible, but not University of Nebraska Gardening.

Student Organization Logos and Visual Identity

Registered University of Nebraska–Lincoln sport clubs are granted the privilege of using our iconic Nebraska N (with registration mark) and a club name set in the university’s sans serif font. For travel wear they can either buy licensed athletics wear (so it is Husker-branded but not sport-specific) or they can use the Nebraska N and their club name. All sport clubs must identify themselves on all apparel, web, or advertising as ‘Nebraska (insert sport) Club’. However, because of our large Athletics Multi-Media Rights partnerships and sponsorships, we cannot allow RSOs to conflict with existing Athletics sponsorships.  Please visit the UNL lockup factory to create offical Univerity lockups to utilize the Primary N mark.

Nebraska Brand and Sponsor Requirements

Students working on project at day of service

Campus units that work with a third-party sponsor and/or partner that wishes to produce co-branded merchandise or promotional items must receive permission to use the university’s brand prior to the sponsorship activity. Any club or organization is prohibited from using the Nebraska N logo in association with a non-athletic sponsor. Non-athletic sponsor logos may appear on the back of a shirt and appear no larger than half the size of the Nebraska N, but no Nebraska branding is permitted on the same side of the shirt with the non-athletic sponsor logos. Sponsors should be in alphabetical order unless placement is based on level of sponsorship. Design cannot use trademarks from other entities or derivatives of those marks.

How to Order Promotional Items

  1. Choose a vendor listed on our Internal Campus Suppliers (ICS) list. Note: The Licensing and Branding Department will only approve requisitions from licensed vendors.
  2. Work with the vendor to choose the product, develop a design concept, and determine proper logo use. All licensed vendors have access to Nebraska Logo Sheet, which shows logos available for use on promotional items. All designs should also follow the guidelines listed on the Artwork Do’s and Don’ts page. Note: Do not use a vendor that ask you for a logo. Nebraska department logos not listed below will be sent to vendor by request.
  3. If applicable, please visit the UNL lockup factory to create offical Univerity lockup to utilize the Primary N mark.
  4. Submit your artwork for approval through our online request form. If there are questions or requests for redesign, you will be contacted.
  5. Approved designs may be sent to the vendor and you may proceed with the order. After artwork approval, the vendor will work on your behalf to secure final approval through Nebraska’s Licensing and Branding Department. Once approved, the vendor will fulfill the product and/or merchandise orders. If you have questions or concerns contact

Note: The Licensing and Branding Department will only approve requisitions from licensed vendors. If your preferred vendor is not included on the licensee list, the vendor may apply for an Internal Campus Supplier License. Questions regarding licensed vendors should be e-mailed to


Royalties generated from the commercial use of Nebraska’s marks support student athletes, less the actual administrative expenses of running the licensing program.

The administrative expenses include maintaining the legal requirements of trademark registration, addressing product infringement, supporting the Fair Labor Association and maintaining the Licensing and Branding Department.

Apparel and promotional products ordered by university departments, student organizations, sports clubs and Greek chapters are subject to the applicable royalty rate. This includes, but is not limited to, sales for fundraising projects, sales to individual members of a department, organization, club, or Greek chapter, or if the price of an item is built into a fee (e.g. event registration).

Exemptions from royalties include:  University purchases for internal consumption.

If the merchandise is for resale to anyone else, even as a fundraiser for charity, royalties must be paid by the vendor and will be reflected in the price to the organization placing the order.

Examples Include:

-Good and services purchased by University Departments for business use (pens, letterhead, business cards, etc.).     

-Goods purchased by the University community for internal consumption (team athletic apparel, staff uniforms, office supplies, recognition pins and plaques, calendars and schedules of events, photographs, and works of art.).     

-Goods manufactured or purchased by the University to promote the University and its programs (student recruitment materials, advertisement of University programs, and notices of special events, etc.)

Royalty exemptions will not be made for:

-Licensed goods purchased by the University, University affiliates for resale; If the merchandise is for resale to anyone else, even as a fundraiser for charity, royalties must be paid by the vendor and will be reflected in the price to the organization placing the order.

-Student groups selling licensed goods, or students engaged in business for personal profit.

-All items that are purchased for resale are royalty bearing.

  • The inclusion of a corporate name or “sponsor” requires the payment of royalties (unless a University PO or P-Card is being used to purchase).
  • If a University PO or P-card isn’t being used, royalties will most likely need to be paid.

To request exemption from royalties, organizations must email the Licensing Department prior to production of the item.