Recognized Student Organizations and Clubs Identity Guidelines
With over 500 student organizations and over 30 sport clubs, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL) provides a wide range of opportunities for students to get involved. Our students are excellent brand ambassadors. Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) are able to identify with the University of Nebraska–Lincoln subject to:
- The student organization identifying as a student-based organization and not to be confused with a university department, program or initiative.
- The student organization identity not interfering with the integrity of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s trademarks, athletic brand or intellectual property.
Student Organization Names
Student organization must clearly identify itself as a Club/Association/Chapter. This will identify the organization as a student-based organization, and not a University of Nebraska department or office. All student clubs must use licensed vendors to produce uniforms/club apparel and other merchandise.
If student organizations wish to use the words ‘University of Nebraska–Lincoln’ or ‘University’ in their name, the title of the university should come before the club name and/or make it clear that it is a student organization. For example: University of Nebraska American Red Cross Club. University of Nebraska Gardening Club would be permissible, but not University of Nebraska Gardening.
Student Organization Logos and Visual Identity
Registered University of Nebraska–Lincoln sport clubs are granted the privilege of using our iconic Nebraska N (with registration mark) and a club name set in the university’s sans serif font. For travel wear they can either buy licensed athletics wear (so it is Husker-branded but not sport-specific) or they can use the Nebraska N and their club name. All sport clubs must identify themselves on all apparel, web, or advertising as ‘Nebraska (insert sport) Club’. However, because of our large Athletics Multi-Media Rights partnerships and sponsorships, we cannot allow RSOs to conflict with existing Athletics sponsorships.
Nebraska Brand and Sponsor Requirements
Campus units that work with a third-party sponsor and/or partner that wishes to produce co-branded merchandise or promotional items must receive permission to use the university’s brand prior to the sponsorship activity. Any club or organization is prohibited from using the Nebraska N logo in association with a non-athletic sponsor. Non-athletic sponsor logos may appear on the back of a shirt and appear no larger than half the size of the Nebraska N, but no Nebraska branding is permitted on the same side of the shirt with the non-athletic sponsor logos. Sponsors should be in alphabetical order unless placement is based on level of sponsorship. Design cannot use trademarks from other entities or derivatives of those marks.
How to Order Promotional Items
- Choose a vendor listed on our Internal Campus Suppliers (ICS) list. Note: The Licensing and Branding Department will only approve requisitions from licensed vendors.
- Work with the vendor to choose the product, develop a design concept, and determine proper logo use. All licensed vendors have access to Nebraska Logo Sheet, which shows logos available for use on promotional items. All designs should also follow the guidelines listed on the Artwork Do’s and Don’ts page. Note: Do not use a vendor that ask you for a logo. Nebraska department logos not listed below will be sent to vendor by request.
- Submit your artwork for approval through our online request form. If there are questions or requests for redesign, you will be contacted.
- Approved designs may be sent to the vendor and you may proceed with the order. After artwork approval, the vendor will work on your behalf to secure final approval through Nebraska’s Licensing and Branding Department. Once approved, the vendor will fulfill the product and/or merchandise orders. If you have questions or concerns contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The Licensing and Branding Department will only approve requisitions from licensed vendors. If your preferred vendor is not included on the licensee list, the vendor may apply for an Internal Campus Supplier License. Questions regarding licensed vendors should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Apparel and promotional products ordered by university departments, student organizations, sports clubs and Greek chapters are subject to the applicable royalty rate. This includes, but is not limited to, sales for fundraising projects, sales to individual members of a department, organization, club, or Greek chapter, or if the price of an item is built into a fee (e.g. event registration). Exemptions include: employee or student uniforms or uniforms for competition, and when a department, organization, club, or Greek chapter orders items and gives the item away (for free) to members, participants, volunteers, etc.